Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Green Cake

There has been a green cake that has made its way into a couple of posts.  It was my nod to St. Patty’s day, but also just a chance to play around a little.

Not only was the cake colored green, it was also mint flavored.  I started with the Cake Mix Extender recipe and made one quick and easy change as well as an addition.

The Green Mint Cake:

4 eggs
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup (8oz) sour cream or yogurt
3 teaspoons Mint extract*
1 box white or vanilla cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Green color gel

Mix the wet ingredients together.  Add the dry ingredients in, mix on low until just combined, scrap down sides, then mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed.

I used the vanilla Better Crocker cake mix, and had a prefect amount of batter for my two 8in round cake pans.


*You could totally do a Peppermint flavored cake as well.  I used 3 teaspoons of mint because I wanted a good mint taste.  Depending on how strong the extract is, you may need to use less of it.

I paired this cake with the Cookies & Cream filling, but a chocolate filling and icing would also be very good with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment