Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Extra Cake Batter?

In the  No More Skinny Cakes post I suggested you use more cake mix in your pans.  Sometimes, you only need a little more and don’t want to mix up another full cake mix for it.  You can use the Cake Mix Extender Recipe to stretch your cake mix just a little further, by adding a few items to it.

Cake Mix Extender Recipe – about 7 cups of batter
There are many variations of this recipe online.

4 eggs
1 1/3 cup water*
1/2 cup oil*
1 cup (8oz) sour cream or yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the wet ingredients together.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined.  Scrap down sides, then mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed.

* Some recipes call for the amount of water and oil on the back of the box.

Left over cake batter?

There are times when I will fill my cake pans, and realize that I have more batter than I need.  Either I miscalculated or I just made more than I needed.  (I tend to over estimate usually.) 

There are a couple of things you can do if this happens.

1.  Are you baking another cake in the next few days?  You can 
     store the batter in the fridge for a couple of days before you
     bake it.**

2.  Bake a small layer of cake to freeze for another day, to make
     cake balls from, or cut it up serve with fruit and whipped cream
     or ice cream with.

3.  Freeze the cake batter.  It bakes up just fine when you thaw
     it.**  You can either freeze it in a bowl or even better a ziplock
     bag.  If you freeze it in a ziplock bag, thaw it, then just snip off
     an end and squeeze it into your prepared pan.

** I have done this with cake mixes, but not scratch cakes.  If you try it with scratch cake mixes let me know how it works out.

Next Posts: 
Friday, March 2 – Lesson 4 Cake Pictures from February Courses

Monday, March 5 - Bake Even Strips: A Comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment