Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Knee High Dusting Puff

If you have taken Flowers & Cake Design or Gum Paste & Fondant with me you have received one of these things. 


This is my trusty dusting puff.  A dusting puff is used to spread a fine amount of your dust or in our case powder sugar over your work space to help keep your fondant or gum paste from sticking.

Today, my dear cakers, I will be showing you how quick and easy they are to make.

First we need to get out a few items.


You will need a brand new (cheap) knee high, scissors, cup, measuring cup, and powder sugar.  It will also make clean up quicker if you lay out a piece of wax paper.

Step 1:  Take your knee high and place it around your cup, leaving a little slack in the toe area.


Step 2:  Fill your dusting puff.  For the puffs I hand out in class I usually do about 1/4th to 1/3rd of powder sugar.  You can do as much as ½ cup easily.  You can also fill your puff with all powder sugar, all cornstarch or a combination of the two.  I have found that powder sugar works just fine for everything I do with it. 


Step 3:  Remove the knee high from your glass, and tie a knot in it. 
Now you could stop at this point, leaving yourself a loose knot that you can open later and refill the puff.  I like to use and toss myself.


Step 4:  Cut right above the knot, and put a knot at the end or the remaining knee high.


Step 5:  Repeat Steps 1 through 4 two more times.


Now you have three dusting puffs to use.  You can store them in a plastic bag, or in the small ½ cup plastic containers.

To use, you just tap your dusting puff against the surface until you have enough dust out to suit your needs.


BTW:  If you haven’t taken Flowers & Cake Design or Gum Paste & Fondant, what are you waiting for?  Check out the Current Class Schedule tab to see when those classes are scheduled.

Next Post:  Friday, September 23 - TBA

1 comment: