Monday, August 22, 2011

Fewer dirty bowls!

I’m going to take a wild guess that many of you have finished a cake, only to look around the kitchen at the piles of dirty bowls used to color icing.  Maybe you are even standing there thinking you can't serve soup for dinner, since all of your spoons are probably mixed in with those dirty bowls.  Been there, done that!

Today’s tip:  Use one bowl for several colors. 

You can use the same bowl to color several different colors of icing.  Start with the lightest colors and stick to colors that blend well or are neighbors on the color wheel.  For my example I am using yellow, green and blue.  You can do the same with yellow, orange, pink and red.

First I colored yellow icing.


After I scooped it out into a bowl I colored green icing in the same bowl.


Plopped some more white in to the bowl with the green and yellow and added blue food coloring.


Here is the blue all mixed up.


This is the single dirty bowl for that was used for three colors.  Notice the jumbo Popsicle sticks I used, these get thrown away and reduce the amount of dishes you have to wash.


This tip works best when you are coloring smaller amounts of icing and plan to fill the decorating bags as you go. 


Leave me a comment and let me know if you found this tip helpful.  Do you have any tips to help reduce the clean up after a cake?


Next Post:  Wednesday, August 24 - Announcing "Let's Play Cake!"

2 comments:

  1. If I know I am going to have color left over I mix my icing colors directly in the storage container/Tupperware. I can keep my icing covered, squeeze the remainder into it and have no bowls in the sink... just tips, couplers, bags, spatula, mixers, mixing bowl, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do have large amounts I'll color in seperate bowls. When I freeze icing (my left overs tend to go in the freezer or trash) I put it in ziplocks. It is still a messy hobby no matter what huh?

    ReplyDelete